16 July 2009

Today was a little different. Marieke's patch came off int he shower, so she had to get a new one less than twelve hours after the first one.

Before work, we ate at Qdoba and watched the Sotomayor hearings on CNN.

It was a little odd at work because we usually measured time by how many smoke breaks we went on. Instead, we decided on a long, half-hour break, during which, we went for a walk on the Soldier's And Sailor's Memorial Lawn. It was nice, but the cravings were difficult to ignore.

By the end of the day, I came to the conclusion that the process of quitting is the exact opposite of what I predicted would happen. I surmised that I would be the 'Zen Master' of quitting and Marieke would be the one becoming un-hinged. In a sick twist of fate that makes me want to snap people's necks like dandelions, the exact opposite is true.

Marieke is handling the situation with her usual grace and poise. We've exchanged a few unpleasantries, but it wasn't too bad.

With the possibility of diabetes onset becoming a real concern for the both of us, we stopped for some non-sugar snacks: pretzel sticks and V8 juice among them.

Ever the cheerleader and never ending source of support that she is, Marieke read a couple lists of things that happen to your body when you quit smoking. Apparently, by this date, the carbon monoxide levels in my blood stream have gone down to normal levels. In about another day or so, my feet and hands will become warmer because of circulation issues and blood constriction associated with smoking.

Yikes. But the cravings are so strong.

Marieke suggested a walk at around midnight and it was the best thing ever, since it was cool and we got to go do something. We took a completely different route than normal. The dogs loved it.

Another sleepless night was in store for me and Marieke didn't sleep to well, either.

I ate about three quarters of the two bags of prezel sticks, hit the peanuts pretty hard and finished an entire quart and a half of V8 juice in a little less than 5 hours.

The cough seems to be less frequent and I seem to be able to laugh without coughing directly afterward.

This might not be so bad afterall. I've eaten less today than last night and I feel a little better. My chest isn't so tight and it doesn't feel like I'm 5 seconds away from having a panic attack.

At work, though, I found it a little harder to concentrate and I kept having to rise and walk about the office.

In lieu of smoking, we've decided to drive everywhere with the windows up and the air-conditioning on so that we're not thinking about ashing out the window.

I think we may make it.

0 comments :

Post a Comment