17 July 2009

Marieke was in her usual high spirits today and maintains that the cravings are not so bad for her. I'm jealous of that, because it's pretty rough for me.

Before leaving for work, we got a call from our 'rent-a-kid' family and agreed to go to the movies on Friday. That should be interesting.

During the call, I told our friend that we had quit-smoking patches on. She said 'Oh, trying to quit, huh?' I then heard myself say the following: 'Not trying, doing. Do or do not, there is no try,' quoting Yoda.

Work was difficult by myself. I found concentrating a little easier. In retrospect, I didn't miss the smoke break too much, but I still felt uneasy in my chair and took several laps around the office to work off some of the anxiety.

Mostly everyone at work is supportive, though, which is nice.

Back home, we made it through dinner- our first grill of the season. It was delicious. Then I began eating. More pretzel sticks, more V8 juice, carrot sticks... then dinner.

Kara gave us her left-over blowpops from when she quit. I had one of those, then we went to Rita's for some cold stuff in a cup. Then another blow pop.

In for the evening, I decided I needed another small bowl of baked beans, another corn on the cob, some Swedish Fish and I don't know how many pieces of gum.

My tongue is blistered from the Life Savers and Marieke actually has an open sore on the back of hers from the hard candy.

Overall, today was better. Though the cravings were a bit more powerful, they didn't last as long and were a little further spaced out than the last two days. My chest is still a little tight and my throat is sore. The constant din of a headache I've had since quitting has gone down to a lower frequency dull ache.

I still find myself reaching for the cigarettes every now and again, or thinking 'it's time for a smoke,' but not as often.

The biggest thing is that I haven't slept very much since quitting. I'm afraid I'll fall asleep at the movie tomorrow if I don't get some good shut-eye tonight.

0 comments :

Post a Comment