17 November 2010

I’m not sure how I feel about not having posted a weird, random event in a while. They happened more before we quit smoking. What’s that about?

Having put the porch in proper winter order, we weren’t too concerned with the warning of excessive wind by the 11:00 news.

At 2:34am, I was startled awake by a terrible noise that could only have resulted from a dumpster falling down the steps. I imagined one of the dumpsters in the alley behind the house shaking free of its moorings, only to have plummeted into the shed in the back, which was now at the bottom of the hill in the back yard, pressing against the dining room wall.

The cat was sure we were being invaded, so under the bed he went. Since the dogs didn't seem at all impressed and Marieke was snoozing away, I guessed that it was a dream and Manfred was only disturbed by my reaction. Upon roaming the house, clad only in my skivvies, brandishing a plumbing wrench and flashlight, I found nothing amiss.

guttersteps

Since the front porch is so wide, I was not able to see the front steps from the front door.

The sidewalk, which is where one end of the gutter is resting in the picture, is about 30 or so feet below the porch. The porch is on the first floor, the bedroom is on the second floor. It was hanging above our second floor bedroom windows.

We estimate that it must have fallen about 60 feet. At 2:34 in the morning, I in my drawers, going from window to window in search of the mysterious noise. What a sight that must have been from across the way.

This is the same gutter that came loose during the snow storm last winter. We managed to control that situation by tying string to it and anchoring it to the roof until our capricious landlord remedied the issue. It seems to have suffered some buckling upon landing, so perhaps it is beyond repair at this point.

At any rate, another weird, random event goes into the books.

0 comments :

Post a Comment