23 November 2010

When Marieke came home, I was in the middle of the annual ritual of evacuating the water from the hose and winding it into its little house for the winter. Of course, this also includes cleaning the area of the outside where the hose usually sits during the warmer months- along the side of the house, precisely forming a line from the front of the house, where the water spout is, to the back of the house, where it is needed and used most often. Over the course of the warmer months, the area becomes overgrown, spider ridden and otherwise swarmed upon by whatever other examples of life exist along the side of the house.

This year, it was far more complicated since the two-paned crank window decided that we only need one pane of glass during winter and broke. Not completely, but enough to leave room for a steady breeze. Having cranked the window closed, substituting a paper bag for actual insulation, but not delusion of insulation, my task was complete.

While washing my hands of residue that my twisted mind thought of as ‘Summer’s Corpse,’ Marieke said, “I have a thought about dinner…”

To which I replied, “Yeah, I’m hungry for Hough’s too.”

“I wasn’t thinking Hough’s, I was thinking Eat & Park because we have to go to Target.”

“Oh. Ok,” I offered, somewhat dejectedly.

“We’ll have plenty of beer for Thanksgiving,” I sometimes wonder if she harbors a deep-seeded fear that I’ll become an alkie. After eleven years together, I would hope that she knows the answer already.

Mom and her friend, Joe, were pitching in for a case of beer. Our choice. We picked a “Variety of Victory,” one of our favorites.

I supposed I could wait. My inner frat boy grumbled at not being gratified instantly.

0 comments :

Post a Comment